KENTUCKY HIGHWAY MARKER
In 2002 the Erlanger Historical Depot and the Erlanger Proper Subdivision were accepted into the Department of the Interior Historical Registry. In the year, 2004 they were accepted as one of the State of Kentucky Highway Marker recipients. A celebration for all Erlanger residents and guest along with many Local and State dignitaries took place for the unveiling of the Highway Marker on Heritage Day, September 19,2004. Erlanger was one of three recipients in the State of Kentucky to receive a marker that year.
SHORT HISTORY OF THIS HISTORICAL AREA
In 1874, following investigation upon investigation, the Cincinnati Southern Railroad voted to build a bridge across the Ohio River and to lay track along the route of the Lexington Pike to Florence. The Erlanger depot was built in 1877 and is the last remaining wooden depot between Cincinnati and Chattanooga. The depot is located in the Erlanger Proper Subdivision that was one of the first planned subdivisions in Northern Kentucky. The Erlanger Land Syndicate filed the plan with the Kenton County Clerk of Courts on May 31, 1887. This parcel of land was accepted into the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
The Historical society along with the City of Erlanger was instrumental in receiving these honors for the Historical area of our city.